Copied to clipboard!
Physical Therapy -> Gross Motor Skills -> Milestones
Infants, babies, and toddlers have a long list of developmental milestones that they reach during those first few years of life. If there is any delay of a child reaching a developmental milestone, PT is involved to catch them up! This could be a baby who doesn’t want to roll over or crawl, or it could be a toddler who isn’t able to step up a staircase or jump off a small step. Each milestone is important and PT wants to ensure your child checks them all off.
- Conner will complete shoe donning with Minimal assist and 80% verbal cue, 5 times a week, for increased functional independence when changing shoes in the class. 1
- Chase will increase overall core strength for floor playtime, by crawling 15 feet, with no assist, to grab a toy, by the end of 1 month(s). 1
- Tony will ambulate 50 feet, 5 times over 2 week(s), with hand held assist for increased transitioning when ambulating in school. 1
- Ben will stack 6 blocks in 5 trials over 2 weeks, with Minimum assist and 80% verbal cues for increased precision and accuracy of distal finger skills for optimal participation/success in school setting. 1
- Luke will ambulate 3 steps with no external aid to increase his stamina and walking independence in 3 weeks. 1
- Jessica will bend down from standing to pick up 5 items with 90% accuracy within 3 days over the 4 consecutive weeks, to improve coordination. 1
- Lisa will reach for the object 5 xs with LUE, in a quadruped position, 4 /5 days in a week, in the classroom and other settings, with min supervision, to improve her gross motor skills and her participation in everyday life activities, in 6 weeks. 0
Gross Motor Checklist 0-5 4
Cheyenne Allen, PT, DPT
Quick review of gross motor milestones listed by age from birth to 5 years old.
Holiday Breakfast Yoga and Breathing Activities 3
Whitney Castle, PT, DPT
Yoga Resource. Movement Resource. Physical Therapy Resource. Occupational Therapy Resource. Mindfulness Resource. Move and breathe along with a holiday breakfast menu with yoga poses and breathing ...Includes activity list
Health Benefits of Physical Exercise For Children and Adolescents 2Author: Trevor Archer - Research article describing the benefits of physical exercise. Helpful information on staying healthy through the lifespan
Systematic Review of the Health Benefits of Physical Activity and Fitness In School-Aged Children and Youth 2Author: Ian Janssen - A review dealing with multiple resource to showcase the benefits of physical activity in children. This evidence can be used to understand the positive effects of exercise on a child's physical and cognitive health.
Evidence-Based Intervention In Physical Activity: Lessons From Around the World 2Author: Gregory W Heath - EBP relating to physical activity intervention. Helpful for adults and adolescents.
The Contribution of Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviours to the Growth and Development of Children and Adolescents 2Author: Andrew Hills - Positive effects that physical activity has on a child's health. This articles shows the positive development and growth across the lifespan for children.
Effects of Exercise On Cognitive Performance In Children and Adolescents With ADHD: Potential Mechanisms and Evidence-Based Recommendations 2Author: Lasse Christiansen - ADHD affects a high number of youth every year. This article keeps that in mind and assesses the effects that physical exercise will have on youths dealing with ADHD.
Ed McNeely 2Author: Strength Training For Children: a Review and Recommendations - All exercise has been shown to contain many benefits for children. This article discusses the effects that strength and resistance training can have on kids.