Copied to clipboard!
Speech Therapy -> Fluency -> Stuttering Modifications Techniques
Stuttering Modifications Techniques
Stuttering modification techniques refer to speech techniques that attempt to modify stuttering or cluttering in a way that makes it easier, less tense, and more forward moving.
- Stuttering and other fluency disorders - A fluency disorder is an interruption in the flow of speaking characterized by atypical rate, rhythm, and disfluencies (e.g., repetitions of sounds, syllables, words, and phrases; sound prolongations; and blocks), which may also be accompanied by excessive tension, speaking avoidance, struggle behaviors, and secondary mannerisms (American Speech-Language-Hearing Association [ASHA], 1993). People with fluency disorders also frequently experience psychological, emotional, social, and functional impacts as a result of their communication disorder (Tichenor & Yaruss, 2019a). Stuttering is the most common fluency disorder.
- Given minimal cues, Rosalia will use slowed rate and easy onset speech to reduce dysfluencies and increase intelligibility at the conversational level with 80% accuracy over 5 consecutive sessions as measured by data and observation to improve fluency. 3
- Jane will use pull-out strategies, during a structured reading aloud task, with 80% accuracy across 3 out of 5 sessions. 0
- Luke will use preparatory sets, prior to moments of anticipated stuttering within a conversational treatment task in 80% of opportunities across 5 consecutive sessions. 0
- Miquel will learn and practice fluency control strategy of slowed rate, progressing from word level responses to phoneme level responses independently with 90% accuracy over 3 consecutive sessions to improve speech fluency. 2
Story and Conversation Starters 4
Story Starter photos for sentence or conversational level goals. Can be modified to target articulation, language or fluency.
Professionals who selected this minor focus area as their top area of expertise.
Abeid AhmedDeveloper STUDENT CF-SLP
Hi, I’m Abeid Ahmed, a BSc Agriculture graduate and a software engineer based in India. Previousl...
- Ambitious Idea Labs (Ambiki)
- Personal Practice
- Sidekick Therapy Partners