Copied to clipboard!
Speech Therapy -> Voice -> Transgender Voice and Communication
In addition to providing services to help with an individual's laugh, cough, and all aspects of voice (intonation, pitch, quality, and resonance), an SLP will also provide guidance on pragmatics while demonstrating cultural sensitivity in communication with the clients and their families. An SLP is well-versed in inclusive, respectful, and non-pathologizing terminology.
Virginia Ingram, MS CCC-SLP
This resource can be used as a handout for patients who are seeking treatment for gender-affirming voice and communication (per ASHA).Includes activity list
- An SLP's Scope of Practice for Gender-Affirming Voice & Communication
- Steps for Administering Stemple's Vocal Function Exercises
- Phone call to the vet to take your dog for an appointment
- How do I talk to a friend who made me cry?
- Phone conversation ordering a pizza
- Phone call to the doctor's office to make an appointment
- Voice disorders - Voice disorders are medical conditions involving abnormal pitch, loudness or quality of the sound produced by the larynx and thereby affecting speech production.
Author: SpeechPathologyMastersPrograms.com - This is a list of SLP Master's Programs that have Transgender Voice Specialty. All programs should at least have some level of instruction in voice classes.
Author: The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association - Voice and communication services for transgender and gender diverse populations assist in matching communication with gender identity and/or presentation.